Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tutorials have become an integral part of learning. As Dr. Orey stated in the DVD tutorials are used from instructions to learning the computer to learning how to play a game. Everybody offers tutorials to give a quit lesson on the subject. Tutorials remind me of what we used in college English classes on books we were suppose to read called Cliff Notes, they were an abridged version of the story just to give you the highlights so you could pass the test. Tutorials are instructions for what you need to know, but not detailed necessarily.

Behaviorism learning is the basic school policy. Students behave they learn, they do not behave they do not learn. Reward good behavior and punish bad is the way of the school. Intrinsic motivation is hard to get when students have been conditioned to believe they should be rewarded for doing what they were suppose to do. Change is hard and breaking out of the mold is sometimes even harder. Using technology as a reward is not the answer either. Students have technology at their fingertips all the time and therefore it does not encourage them to do what they should like it would when I was a student and did not have the technology available like they do today.

Dr. Pat Wolfe talked about last week that students need to use as many modalities as possible to remember the information. I agree that students need to hear the information and practice but I do feel we can use technology to help them find different ways to practice and use the information. We have to make the learning meaningful for the students to want to learn what we have to teach them.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that using technology as a reward is not the answer either. Most students in my classroom feel that if they rush to get their assignments completed then they should be able to surf the net or play games. I had to put a stop to that early on in the school year because they were more concerned with playing on the computer than learning the material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students do not need tutorials. They need to inquire. One of my students told me just the other day when we worked on SketchUp, "I hate tutorials and manuals. I just get in and figure out things myself.". That is why I think "digital natives" are much more successful than use when it comes to using technology. I also agree that technology should not be offered as a reward but integral part of everyday program.

    ReplyDelete